I just learned about this by ACCIDENT.

After upgrading my Freenet node to the latest CVS (which I generally
do every 3 days or so), I was finally able to get TFE and CofE, for the
first time in about 2 days.

And when I got them, I learned that the REASON I hadn't been able to
get them for the last 2 days is because there's been another round of
changes to the Freenet node code that broke compatibility with older
builds.

This is NOT in the topic of the #freenet IRC channel.

Until now.

Consider this an unofficial announcement.  I don't know where the Freenet
developers are hiding, or why they didn't announce this change on the
mailing lists.  I don't know why there's been no discussion of this on
the mailing lists, unless it's for the simple reason that we've all been
sitting here SCRATCHING OUR HEADS FOR TWO DAYS wondering why we can't
get any Freesites.

To the TFE/CofE person: thank you.  At least someone's paying attention
out there and trying to hold things together.

To the Freenet developers: I'm down to 2 nodes instead of 3 until I can
I didn't know about this mandatory upgrade before I left work for the
weekend, Freenet will have to suffer without that node.  I imagine there
are other people who are in similar situations.

This could have been prevented if SOMEONE -- ANYONE -- had just sent a
simple note to the mailing lists.

greg at wooledge.org              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |