Alvaro Lopez Ortega dijo [Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 12:38:16PM +0100]:
> Let's try to be pragmatic here. Cherokee-admin does not support  
> splitted files, and moreover it will not support it in the near future.
> 
> In fact, I am not even sure whether it is desirable thing to implement  
> in Cherokee. It looks much more like the "less stinky" solution for  
> dealing with text plain configuration files.
> 
> Cherokee 0.5 used splitted configuration files because it was the best  
> solution at that point, but things have changed a lot since then. In  
> fact, I have put a whole lot of work to get rid of it.
> 
> In my opinion, it would make much more sense to allow the web based  
> applications to 'enhance' cherokee-admin by adding some sort of  
> definitions file. In fact, *the server configuration* is a single  
> thing that ought to be treated as such.
> 
> Let's try not to copy the workarounds that other projects were forced  
> to implement. We should try to thing ahead that!

Umh... I perfectly understand Cherokee is not by far among the most
popular webservers - But looking at the standard practices both inside
distributions (i.e. in Debian, that's what I can speak about) and for
Web application authors, it's customary to ship your code with a very
simple configuration snippet, following a easy to understand (or at
least, widely understood) configuration syntax.

Such developers should not be expected to write a configuration module
for an obscure Webserver. They won't do it. That's more likely to
isolate Cherokee even more.

I do agree that, given the very-very-strong-preference for a
registry-like configuration managed by a tool, the _core_
configuration should be shipped as a single file (and yes, I'll merge
the different configuration parts into one for Debian). But denying
third parties the ease that means just shipping a configuration
snippet will only ensure less public exposure for Cherokee.

(BTW, the configurations generated by 05to06.py _do_ have an 'include'
keyword)

Greetings,

-- 
Gunnar Wolf - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - (+52-55)5623-0154 / 1451-2244
PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23
Fingerprint: 0C79 D2D1 2C4E 9CE4 5973  F800 D80E F35A 8BB5 27AF
_______________________________________________
Cherokee mailing list
[email protected]
http://cherokee-project.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/cherokee

Reply via email to