having problems with this configuration. As I told you, I was trying to have a CGI program always run and render a page for display. Except! when a file exists in the document root hierarchy. You suggested that I try partitioning the files in a separate part of the tree which I did (under files) and so far, that seems to work okay. Now I try to configure mailman and it's not working. all of the CGI programs are there, there are all set gID, owned by root:list and should be working.

on a related topic is there anyway for the error log to display what part of the filesystem the URL is trying to reach?

Again, it's probably something obvious I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Server harvee.org {
        DocumentRoot  /var/www/html/harvee

        Log combined {
            AccessLog /var/log/cherokee/harvee.access
            ErrorLog  /var/log/cherokee/harvee.error
        }

        Directory / {

                Handler cgi {
                scriptalias /home/esj/akasha/ak404.py
                ErrorHandler on
                }
        }

        Directory /files {
                Handler file
                DocumentRoot /var/www/files/harvee/

        }
          ##
          ## Rest of the virtual host configuration..
          ## Add your parameters here..
          ##
        # mailman stuff
        Directory /mailman {

                DocumentRoot /var/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/
                Handler cgi
        }

        Directory  /pipermail {
                DocumentRoot /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/
        }

}