Hola :)

the Gentoo Rules say that a package must be masked (mark as testing)
almost for a month, for it 0.4.29 is not yet in stable (like debian...).
In addition i'm just back from my holidays :P
So since version .17 have a lot of bugs i will unmask .29 soon as
possible. Meanwhile in Gentoo you don't need to change the repository or
update all the system just for one package. You can use:

# echo www-servers/cherokee ~x86 >> /etc/portage/package.keyword

you can change x86 with your arch.

regards