Tom,

You are doing exactly the same thing I am doing, except I relaced the 307
with a 350.  I saved the 307 and it will go in for a complete blueprinting,
but I will not use it as a daily driver.  I am the original owner and I
know what is original and what is not.  The 307 is a bad block and will
only give you 50,000 moles before another overhaul.  My 350 will give me
200,000!  The 307 is going on an engine stand as an ornament and for my
family to sell with the car when I croak.

As for color, there are some websites that list them; you just have to
look.  Eastwood sells paints that they say "match" like chassis black.  I
was able to find enough assortment of spray cans at NAPA (about 6 blacks
from gloss to flat) that worked fine.  I repainted the firewall with thre
differnet blacks until I liked the color and gloss.  The original frame was
never painted to my knowledge so I polyurethaned it gloss black to keep off
the grease and crud.  You will find that the origional car had very few
painted parts.

If you realy are concerned, go to a show and talk to a "Concours
restoration" judge.  Ask him for a literature list.  As for my car right
now, it looks better than anything I've seen at a show for "all originals",
and I am happy with the results.  Also, it looks better under the hood than
the car I bought off the showroom floor.

Ron Mlejnek

At 12:15 AM 07/04/2001 EDT, you wrote:

>Replies to this message are sent to The Chevelle Mailing List
>
>Hi all.
>
>I recently began tearing down and restoring a 69 307 Malibu.  I will be
>putting this car back to original.  I already tore down the whole front end
>and I am in the process of refinishing the steering and suspension
>components.  My question is this:  What color are the suspension & steering
>parts supposed to be?  I.E. control arms, springs, sway bar, steering box,
>idler arm, etc.  When I redid my 70, I just painted everything black.  I
want
>to do this car as correct as possible.  It is a numbers matching car.
Thanks