From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Morris, Jason
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2001 12:46 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: [Chevelle-List] new engine or rebuild the suspension

I am now able to start my first project on my '69 El Camino.  I have about $1500 to spend.  I have narrowed it down to either a new engine or rebuild the suspension.

The engine is a 307, at idle has a oil pressure of about 10-20 and at throttle has about 40-45.  It smokes at start up only when the engine is already hot.  7 of the pistons have a compression of about 145, with one at 130.  If I were to replace the motor first I would get the best 350 that $1500 can buy.

I was told that this engine was rebuilt 40k miles ago.  However almost everything the seller told me about this Elky was bull.

The suspension is crap. needs new everything, from springs to ball joints.  I can't drive it over 65 MPH (it starts to shake). I should have alittle left over for a new carb and maybe some headers for the 307 that's in it right now.

Keep in mind that I need this car for my daily driver.  I have temporary transportation while I do the work but I will need to drive this car (with either the old engine and new suspension OR new engine and old suspension) until I raise more funds.

I'm hoping you guys can give me some advise.  I know in a perfect world I would do them both at the same time, but it's not.

I've got plenty of pictures of my project on my site if you want to take a look.

Thanks for your help...

JM
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.angelfire.com/retro/project-69