Gotta do the suspension first.  There should be enough in that budget to
replace the body mounts as well.  After 30+ years, those rubber mounts get
awfully hard.  Stiffen the suspension back up but soften the body/frame
connection.

Unless you're trying to get a wreck off the racetrack, horsepower isn't
going to get you home with broken steering linkage or a busted ball joint.
Been there...

Dale