The 60 is the tread width, but it is not 60mm because that would be a
bicycle tire. In fact the lower the number, the wider the tire. 60s are
wider than 70s and 50s are wider than 60s. The 235 is sidewall height, and
the R14 means that it is a Radial (R) 14" tire.

John "I can't believe I'm awake" Nasta