Imagining that 12:00 is TDC, 1 revolution of the crank
from TDC to TDC is a symmetric operation.  With the
piston at BDC (6:00) and the piston stop in place, the
piston will encounter the stop at the same height in the
bore (distance from TDC) whether the crank is turned CW
or CCW.  For example, say the stop is installed in such
a way that starting at BDC and going CW, the piston
contacts it at 10:00.  Conversely, going CCW the piston
will contact it at 2:00.  The midway point, or 12:00,
would then be TDC.  Basically the piston stop prevents
you from completing the circle.  The midpoint we're
interested in is the midpoint of the uncompleted arc
(TDC), not the midpoint of the completed stop-to-stop
arc (BDC).

Note that you don't have to start with the piston at
BDC, but if done this way the amount of CW crank
rotation will be different from the amount of CCW
rotation.  However, that doesn't matter because the
piston stop will still contact the piston with the
piston at the same distance from TDC regardless of
rotational direction.

Brad