The plastic vs steel inner fenders has been discussed several times.  I don't think
that there was any particular rhyme or reason to which car got what inners.  Whatever
supplier hit the dock on any day and whatever car came down the line, got the inners
that were on hand.  And several people have mentioned one of each type on supposedly
original cars.

As far as the seam filler, it may have been plant dependent.  IE leeds would use one
technique,  arlington another.  Did you ever try to narrow it down to which years or
plant used a particular method?
---------- [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Now that the motor mount /frame bracket questions are answered we may or may
not ever find out why GM used a different frame bracket for the 307 small
block in the 68 thru 72 chevelles. But anyway there are some expert chevelle
people on this net.
I have worked on chevelles a long time,and have aquired much experiance since
my first chevelle in 1965. I'm an old fart huh ? So I thought I'd stir things
up a little and put out a couple more "why" questions.

Question 1..    "Why" do some chevelles (especially 70s) have plastic inner
fenders and some steel inner fenders ? I've seen two seemingly original cars
with one steel and one plastic on the same car.

Question 2..     Unless you do your own bodywork you may not no what I'm
talking about but here goes. The factory seam between the roof and rear
quarter panels is filled and sanded. Up until just recently I thought the
factory used bondo. Every one I saw was bondo. I bought a 72 malibu shell
that had nice rear quarters to be used on my 71 resto. Upon removal of the 72
rear quarters I found the seam to be leaded in.
First one I have seen. Anyway I started removing the quarter from the 71 and
that wasn't leaded or bondo. That seam was crudly filled with seam sealer
(Kind of caulking) It was originaly a vinyl top car and I guess the factory
figured it didn,t need
exact finishing since it would be covered. Working on a 69 I found it leaded.
So why
do some chevelles have lead,some bondo,some seam sealer ???

rick schaefer
72 El camino
http://members.home.net/jimmy4/rick1972elky.html
ACES #00140