I finally got my 71 together enough to start the motor. I built a pretty
stout .030 over 454, (it's now a 460) for it and finally got it in,
wired and the plumbing done. It's got an 850 Holley double pumper carb,
an Edelbrock Performer RPM air-gap manifold, ported oval port iron heads
with a 3 angle valve job, a MSD ignition system from a 6AL box to the
billet distributor, a complete hydraulic roller cam setup from Crane
including gold race aluminum roller rockers (.587 intake lift, 226
duration @ .050, .610 exhaust lift, 234 duration @ .050) and 10 to 1
forged Speed Pro pistons on polished rods with everything balanced and
held together with ARP fasteners and the exhaust dumping through Hooker
Super Competition headers. All this is connected to a built Turbo 400
and a Moser 9" rear with 3.89 gears.

It started on the first crank and filled the garage with the sweet smell
of burned 110 octane.......mmmmmmm. I was only able to run it for a
minute or so before I realized that the line on the old oil pressure
gauge I was using to monitor it was about as old and decrepit as I am
and I got hosed down with 30w oil. That will make you shut one off in a
hurry.

What I was able to hear in the short time it ran sounded great though,
and after I cleaned up the mess, both on the car and myself, I decided
to walk away from it until tomorrow.

Fortunately it has a roller cam so I don't need to break it in. I can go
right to setting the timing and adjusting the carb.

The car has been about a year and a half in the works but it won't be
long now before I'm standing on the loud pedal going down the local
dragstrip.......Yee Haa.

Bill Vander Werf