Title: Re: [Chevelle-List] Thrust bearing failure
Chuck... Mike Smith here, with "PACE" Palmetto Chevelles, have you taken a good hard look at your balancer, not to say this is your problem, just a thought. While I've got you, I apologize that PACE wasn't at Chevell-abration last year (02), and want be able to make it this year, also, but, I'm involved with a friend in the "Great American Race" in June (mechanic and support crew) and being it starts in (June) Detriot and ends in Daytona, Fla. I'm busy-busy, plus lots of traveling. I'm trying to set up a Chevelle Open Car Show here in Charleston SC sometime around late Mar to mid May 03 at our new "HOOTERS" Rest. and hopefully you can make it. I'll keep you up to date of the times and dates if you wish. ACES # 04945 Mike Smith (Smitty)
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, December 30, 2002 4:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-List] Thrust bearing failure

on 12/30/02 7:58 AM, Bill Vander Werf at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Itıs an automatic (TH400). Iıve tried 3 different torque converters and had the trans rebuilt a second time. I checked to make sure the driveshaft wasnıt too long and causing a bind. After the last bearing went out I took the trans to JW Performance Transmissions to have them check it out. They ran it on their test equipment and it checked out good. They tested the torque converter, an ATI unit, and it checked out good too. As a matter of fact they said the ATI converter was an excellent piece of equipment.

Although the crank and block check out good Iıve lost all faith in them at this point. The crank and block have been looked at by two different machine shops. I had the crank Magnafluxed a second time for good measure. The flex plate is a B&M unit. The harmonic balancer is a Fluidamper and they were both balanced with the rotating assembly.

I donıt have a plan B at this time except to start over with a different block and crank. Iım sure there is an answer. Itıs probably a simple one. I just want to go racing and my patience has been used up. I havenıt driven this car more than maybe 30 miles since the first bearing episode back in May. When everything checks out good but continues to be a problem what else can you do?

Bill Vander Werf