In a message dated 1/14/2003 7:44:52 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I would not want to use acid dip because you have to remove trim tag. If you have a numbers correct car the replacement rivets calls into question the originality and makes it look like you switched tags.

This is not meant to sound smart ass but probably will, but what are you supposed to do about rust under the body tag, leave it there?  It will eventually work its way out into a fresh painted area.  I took both the VIN and the body tag off my 70 when I was restoring it.  I put the VIN back on before it went out to get painted.  Besides, the last 6 digits of the VIN are stamped in 2 different locations on the body as well as the frame.  It just seems to me that being quite anal.  I just used regular pop rivets to put the body tag back on.  My car is not original anyways, and besides the point, it's my car so I'll do the best job I can to prevent the rust demons from coming back.
I can understand not taking it off if it is some kind of super car, such as a Yenko, L89, LS6, L79, etc, but for a modified car or other than an Original Restored car, I wouldn't worry about it.  Just  my opinion.

Tom