In a message dated 8/22/2003 10:49:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

will need to purchase a dial indicator.  If it doesn't come with instructions (like most tools), how do I measure the backlash.  Additionally, how do I change the readings- adjust the backlash if the end result does not equal the initial backlash?  On a side note, will I need to remove the 12 bolt cover in back for any reason?  Bear with me....your instructions will probably seem more simple after I get a good look at the nut and pinion.  I'm not going to take the driveshaft down until after dinner.  I'm still cleaning the mess away.  Thanks for your help.  Have you done many of these?  Sounds like you have been down this road once or twice.
Steve

I've done a few rears.  I would pull the back cover off to drain the oil, put a new gasket on it, and put some fresh 90 weight in it.  The dial indicator will come with directions.  It's very difficult to explain how to set it up and measure it without physically showing you, so just read the directions carefully.
You will not have to do anything internally to the rear.  If all goes as it should and you crank on the yoke nut, you won't need to do any adjusting.
The backlash is controlled by 2 factors, the postion of the differential itself, and the depth of the pinion.  There are shims inside on the pinion between the inner bearing and the pinion head which you won't even see.  There is also a crush collar in there, another thing you won't see,which takes up the slack so there is no play in the pinion.
As long as there is no play in it when you are done, it will be just where it was before you started the job.

Good luck,

Tom