-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Michael Pell
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 8:49 PM
To: The Chevelle Mailing List
Subject: OD manual trans in a '66 Re: [Chevelle-list] 66 Elcamino

Hi Tom,
With either the TREMEC 5sp (3550/TKO)  or the 6sp (T56s) you will definately
need to cut the tunnel off and rebuild it.  Here are some examples:
http://www.5speedTransmissions.com/tunnelsurgery.html
The tunnel is just too small to accomodate these larger transmissions.  And
the 6sp is larger in size than the 5sp.
Here's some swap info for a 5sp:
http://www.5speedTransmissions.com/3550_66-7_gm_a-body.html
And I've started some info on putting in a T56 into an early GM.  See here:
http://www.5speedTransmissions.com/t56_early_gm.html
For the Richmond, I don't have much install info, but I know you will need
to ask around regarding how the external shifter linkages fit in the tunnel.
Most of the A-body cars I've heard about required a slice in the tunnel to
allow room for the linkages.  I'm sure somone will respond.  Herb Lump has
one in his 66 El Camino, and he'll likely respond.
I also have a 5sp comparison if you're interested:
http://www.5speedTransmissions.com/5sp_comparison.html
It's intended to be a non-biased comparison.
For either a 5 or a 6sp, shifter location will be an issue with a bench
seat.   For the 5sp, I can offer a custom shifter that is at 16.75", same as
a Muncie, which makes it a non-issue.   Clint has a Viper T56 from D&D in
his 69 El Camino with a bench seat.   Maybe he'll chime in on how that's
working out with the bench seat.
take care!
Tom Tomlinson wrote:
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I ended up talking him down to $3k for
everything, and he threw in some items I needed, like engine stand, lift,
etc. The engine has never been run, but is set up with 2.02 heads, Edelbrock
RPM cam and intake, 4 bolt main, and should make 410 HP, which is plenty for
me. It was close enough to the project I was looking for that I was willing
to pay a little more. The guy really did some nice restoration on the
interior.Anyway, I need a transmission, fenders and liners. I was ignoring
most of the 5 and 6 speed transmission discussion a month or so ago because
I wasn't in the market, so I'm re-reading the Richmond/Tremec posts, looking
at the websites, etc. Seems like the D&D T56 with the 3.42 rear end would be
a nice setup, but I'm not clear how much "tunnel surgery" is needed on a 66.
Can anyone tell me how much modification on the tunnel is needed for the 66
Elky? Is there anyway to keep the bench seat (not that I mind going to
buckets).Tom Tomlinson'71 Malibu'66 Elky in pieces, hoping I can get it back
together