Title: Message
I'm sure you will have to cut quite a bit of the trans tunnel away to clear a TKO 5spd or T56 6spd but it's really no big deal to build a new tunnel top. If you plan on staying with the 3.42 rear cog,my choice might be the TKO. My opinion is the T56's work better with at least a 3.73 or higher numerically rear cog,because of the very tall 6th gear.
Yes,you can keep your bench seat. I have a bench in my 69 and the T56 shifter clears it fine.
Clint Hooper
H&H Custom,owner
LT5 Registry Director
http://www.LT5Registry.net/