In a message dated 10/15/03 11:34:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Will someone tell me where to find the engine numbers on a 396. The car is
 68 SS. And if at all possible, how to interpret the numbers to identify
 factory horsepower, 4 bolt mail  etc.....(or where I can find that info)...

                                                      thanks,
                                                                 Barye >>

Back of the block on the driver side, there is a ledge where the transmission
bolts to the motor.  There is a 7 digit number there that is the casting
number.  That will tell you what the block is.  There is also a pad on the front
of the block in front of the right (passenger side) cylinder head that should
have some numbers and letters stamped in it unless someone has decked the block.

Tom