Thanks Tom. I'm thinking about unbolting the oil pan to check if it's a
4-bolt. Any thoughts?

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2003 9:17 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] Engine Numbers

In a message dated 10/15/03 11:34:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Will someone tell me where to find the engine numbers on a 396. The car
is
 68 SS. And if at all possible, how to interpret the numbers to identify
 factory horsepower, 4 bolt mail  etc.....(or where I can find that info)...

                                                      thanks,
                                                                 Barye >>

Back of the block on the driver side, there is a ledge where the
transmission
bolts to the motor.  There is a 7 digit number there that is the casting
number.  That will tell you what the block is.  There is also a pad on the
front
of the block in front of the right (passenger side) cylinder head that
should
have some numbers and letters stamped in it unless someone has decked the
block.

Tom

*

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are the property of Americas Mining
Corporation and/or its affiliates, are confidential, and are intended solely for the
use of
the individual or entity to whom this e-mail is addressed. If you are not a named
recipient or otherwise have reason to believe that you have received this message in
error,
please notify the sender and delete this message immediately from your computer. Any
other use, retention, dissemination forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is
strictly prohibited.  Although this email and any attachments are believed to be free
of any virus or other defect that might affect any computer system into which it is
received, and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is
virus free and no responsibility is accepted by Americas Mining Corporation and/or its
affiliates for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use

This e-mail has been scanned and cleared by MailMarshal
www.marshalsoftware.com

*