An antenna for the FM broadcast band is typically a little longer than
2 feet. That's a quarter wavelength. A low impedence coax cable (50/75 ohms)
is usually supplied with them. It would even be possible to transmit
on it. AM radio wavelengths could be measured in miles so any AM antenna is
going to be too short. Most AM receivers have a little adjustment in the
side (varible capacitor) to "tume in" for best reception. An AM only antenna
should have a coil (inductor) at the base to make it appear electrically
longer and would be bad for FM recption. I could'nt tell you what's in a
windshield antenna...
 On my '65, I have a 19 1/2" antenna on the back where the broadcast one
used to be, and use it with a 2 meter ham radio.

>   It is true that the AM antenna will not effectively pick up FM. The way the AM
> only radios were made, utilizing a cheaper grade antenna with a higher grade
> internal receiver, it is virtually impossible to use an AM only antenna for FM
> stations. That is why when you have an AM/FM conversion done on radios the internal
> receiver is changed also.
>

> James
> Signature Clock & Gauge

 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 1965 Chevelle Malibu 327 4 spd
  Chuck Kranz     Amateur Radio Station    WA7OEF
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://wa7oef.net - http://wa7oef.org - http://ckz.us