John,
    Have you considered taking him to small claims court? I'm not sure exactly how much money you lost or what the specific laws are in your state, but I think it would be worth the effort to find out. I know you're a busy man and don't have the time for this but it could be one way to recover your money legally, without the use (or expense) of an attorney. You can also recover your lost wages in some cases and can recover legal fees (court filing fees, etc.) It seems to me that you have a pretty good case against this guy and I would be willing to bet you would win the case. It wouldn't suprise me if Ron didn't even show up for the court appearance in which case, you would probably win by default. FWIW, thats my two cents. Anyway, I wish you the best of luck.

Scott Jackson
1969 CHEVELLE SS 396
T/C # 2172