I have 13" Baer units on the front of my 67 SS and they're slotted, drilled, and zinc plated.  Here's what Baer has to say:

<quote>
What are the benefits to Crossdrilling, Slotting, and Zinc-Washing my rotors?
In years past, crossdrilling and/or Slotting the rotor for racing purposes was beneficial by providing a way to expel the gasses created when the bonding agents employed to manufacture the pads began to break down at extreme temperatures. This condition is often referred to as “green pad fade” or “outgassing”. When it does occur, the driver still has a good firm brake pedal, but simply little or no friction. Since this normally happens only at temperatures witnessed in racing, this can be very exciting!

However, with today’s race pad technology, ‘outgassing’ is no longer much of a concern. When shopping for races pads, or even ultra-high performance road pads, look for the phrases, “dynamic surface treatment”, “race ready”, and/or, “pre-burnished”. When these or similar statements are made by the pad manufacturer, the pad in question will likely have little or no problem with ‘outgassing’. Ironically more pedestrian pads used on most streetcars will still exhibit ‘outgassing’, but only when used at temperatures normally only encountered on the racetrack.

Although crossdrilling and/or slotting will provide a welcome path to expend any gasses when and if they develop, it is primarily a visual enhancement behind today’s often wide-open wheel designs.

Crossdrilling offers the greatest gas relief pathway, but creates potential “stress risers” from which cracks can occur. Baer’s rotors are cast with crossdrilling in mind, from the material specified, to curved vanes, behind which the holes are placed to minimize potential crack migration. Slotted surfaces are what Baer recommends for track only use. Slotted only rotors are offered as an option for any of Baer’s offerings.

Zinc washing is then done to provide a barrier, which resists development of surface scales or rust.
<end quote>

Definately enhances the look, IMO.  http://www.dalesplace.com/images/chevelle/more_pics/baer_front2.jpg

Dale McIntosh
TC Gold #92/ACES #1709/NECOA #41
67SS/67 Elky
DalesPlace  My 67 SS and 67 El Camino
ChevelleStuff  Decoding info on 64-72 Chevelles
Team67  1967 Chevelle/El Camino Specific
MidwestChevelles  Midwest Chevelle Show Information

One month FREE spam protection at www.cloudmark.com
Cloudmark SpamNet - Join the fight against spam!