Folks,

I am installing my first roller cam in a pre roller bbc and could use your advice. I am a little hung up on the checking/setting of cam end play. With the new chain installed there is no back and forth movement of the cam. I suspect the new (tight) chain is holding it from moving. So, how do I check it? I have thought of determining the end play without the chain installed. Will this change the reading?

I am using a steel button with roller bearings and it looks to be about 1/16" too long (can't close the (aluminum) cover). Summit suggested I gradually grind a bit off the front of the button til I have the desired (estimated) .004-.010 clearance.

I have thought of installing the cover using some silly putty in place of the button as a gauge to determine how long the button should be for my application. If I could get a good reading I could then match the button minus the .004" clearance.

I am using an aluminum cover and note there is a rough slightly raised spot where the button will be. Should I grind this down before I start grinding on the button?

I would appreciate any comments/suggestions on  this.

Thanks,

Fred