-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Rick Schaefer
Sent: Saturday, April 09, 2005 1:01 PM
To: The Chevelle Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] heater core

I don't believe that is correct John.   It would probably be easier if
you remove the inner fender, but the outer fender does not need to be
removed.   If you've never removed the inner fender, its not hard but
can be a pain.

Soak the captured nuts with PB Blaster, remove the battery and
anything attached to the drivers side inner fender.   Wheel must be
removed.    There are 15-20 bolts holding the inner in place.  2  with
large flat washers on back wall, 2 with large cup washers on top (go
into the fender ) , several in front near battery - access from
underneath.   I replaced all of the bolts & nut plates the first time
I removed the inner fender and have had no problems with them since.

On my 72 with Air, I had to remove the passenger compartment heating
box to get to the heater core.   As I recall (over 10 years ago) the
stud/nut combo that hold the box in place are on the motor side of the
firewall.   Removing the inner fender allowed easy access to several
of these studs/nuts.   I don't think that I had to remove the
fiberglass "suitcase" on the motor side, but may have.

--
Rick Schaefer
72 TPI El Camino