Thanks Pat. Maybe I have this backwards. Does pinging mean that the timing is too far retarded or too far advanced? I just talked to a friend on the phone and he said that hesitation means it's too far retarded and pinging means too far advanced. This is actually the guy who helped me build the engine. He said I probably should be running premium instead of regular. He may be right, but I want to try one thing at a time to eliminate the variables. In any case it does seem to be running better with the timing more advanced. I'll leave it like this for the week and if it still pings on regular I'll get premium next. If that doesn’t stop the pinging I'll pull the distributor and move it a tooth (clockwise for more advance, right?).

John Nasta

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, May 01, 2005 7:35 PM
To: Chevelle-list@chevelles.net
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] vacuum advance hits manifold

I had the same problem with a 350 in my Blazer and my friend told me I may have the distributer one tooth off. I pulled it out and put it back in and it worked like a charm. May be worth a shot.

Pat

68 convert.

Right now I have it right against the manifold and it is definitely running better than before, but I wish I could advance it more just to see if it would run even better.