Sent: Friday, June 10, 2005 12:02 PM
Subject: RE: [Chevelle-list] Where will it end??

I just got finished reading the thread on this subject. This was brought up a while back on this list. The feelings at that time were about the same as this time. I am, as you can see by my signature, one of the ones that own a clone/tribute. I bought it knowing it was a clone, the person was honest enough to tell me that up front. I do have a problem with someone selling a clone as the real thing because it gives all the clone/tribute owners a bad reputation as someone trying to get SS money for a clone if they decide to sell it. I for one don't plan on selling mine ever. I'm having too much fun driving it to ever see myself getting rid of it.

Anytime someone asks me if it's the real thing I tell them it is a clone, then I get the "OH". They then walk away mumbling to themselves, I have a question to all those people "where is yours"?

People I know that have a lot of knowledge about the Chevelle line have told me the car I have is as close to the "real thing" as can be without the paper work to back it. I would never even consider getting a fake build sheet for it. It has all the correct stuff on it to be an SS. It was built by the previous owner approximately 14 years ago, so everything that is on it must be genuine GM because I don't think there were too many after market producers of SS parts back then. They are also the same people that have told me to quit telling people that it is not a "real SS" but I have to be the honest person that I am and let the people know that ask. On the same token, if they have to ask they more than likely wouldn't know the difference if I had told them that is was "real". The original cowl tag is in place and when it was decoded it was not a "real" SS. The only thing that would give away as not on original big block car is it does not have the correct type of rag joint on the steering linkage.

These cars are still rare in the fact that they are still 35 year old whether it is an SS, clone/tribute or a Malibu.

Sorry to be a little long winded, but I had to get this off my chest. Oh by the way I am 48.

John L.
ACES #5597
70 LS5 TRIBUTE