Pelle, It could be several things, but most likely the starter itself.
Did you shim the starter as per instructions? The fact that it fails after several tries might indicate the coil (starter drive coil) is heating and breaking down. It should only take 700 or 800 starting amps. I use Tiltons super starters. So far they have never let me down. You might try a stock starter and see if the problem goes away or changes. Even new starters can be faulty.
Mike
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, July 03, 2006 5:24 AM
Subject: [Chevelle-list] Still having starter problems :-(

I really don’t know what to do now!

The battery is fairly new (approx one year old).

The starter is new.

All cables are new.

The ground straps are new.

The problem is that I can only engage the starter 3-5 times

when the battery I absolutely fresh charged.

After 3-5 times the starter begins to hit the flex plate.

If I charge the battery for an hour or so it’s ok again!

The starter looks ok, so does the flexplate.

How many cold start amps is needed for a powermaster mini starter?

It is as if the battery is a bit too weak even though it’s supposed to be a truck battery!?

Any input would be appreciated!

B.R.

Pelle

Checked by AVG Free Edition.