Sail panels are an ongoing battle for me. I did cut darts in the back. It becomes obvious when you start test-wrapping the material around the curves of the panel that this has to be done in order for it to conform. My mom also sews, quilts, etc. so it was not the first time I had ever heard of the concept.

Anyway, the glue is another story. With any kind of contact cement it's important to spray both sides and let it dry a few minutes until it's tacky rather than wet (the Super 77 can says to bond when it is "aggressively tacky"). Hold the can 6 to 8 inches away, keep it moving and don't spray too much. If your headliner material is porous it can ooze out the other side and it is hard to get off.

Maybe it's a symptom of the fact that I park outdoors in all kinds of weather, but mine fall down at least once a year, meaning that the material separates from the boards. I have tried 3M Headliner Adhesive as well as Super 77. Maybe some day I'll just buy the pre-done ones and get it over with.

John