From: a396...@fidnet.com
To: chevelle-list@chevelles.net
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 08:52:36 -0500
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] I need advice

Depends on where you are as to what shop I'd recommend for a 700R4 - or any
transmission.  I've heard good things about Phoenix Transmission in
Weatherford, TX. and had them install one in my old 67 SS396.  Their high
horsepower unit (up to 450hp is just under $1800 -
http://www.phoenixtrans.com/html/gmtrans.html.  Naturally if you're nowhere
close by Texas, I'm sure there are other shops just as capable.

There are a lot of aftermarket disc brake companies as well and most are pretty
good.  Building a high horsepower engine, you shouldn't skimp on brakes.
Expect a good disc brake setup to run anywhere from $700 to $1500 depending on
company.  Don't settle for some $395 eBay special.  Baer is on the higher end
but have excellent products.  MP Brakes (mpbrakes.com), Classic Performance
(classicperform.com), Inline Tube (inlinetube.com), and I'm sure there are more
offer basic kits from around $700 up or a bit more if you want power disc.

Your tire size will have some effect on the rear end gear you might want to
choose.  A page at my site, http://chevellestuff.com/tools/rpm_calculator.htm,
will let you play around with tire sizes and rear end ratios based on your
transmission selection.  Transmission gear ratios are shown for the most
popular GM transmissions; just plug in your rear tire size (such as 235x60x15),
a rear axle ratio (like 3.55), a highway speed (like 75mph) and it'll calculate
your RPM.  Be aware there will some slippage with an automatic so numbers won't
be exact but they'll be relative regardless of ratio, tire size, etc. selected.

Taking my car for example, TH350, 3.36 rear end, 235x60x15 tires and at 75mph
it calculates to 3245 rpm where my tach shows about 3500.  Changing to a 700R4
(and nothing else) with the overdrive ratio the rpms drop calculates to 2270 at
75mph.  I could run as low as a 4.56 gear and still only be turning 3100 at
75mph with the o/d.

Dale
Admin - ChevelleStuff.com/forums