Title: chhattisgarh-net

Messages In This Digest (9 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Re: Lies do not help anyone: DGP Chhattisgarh

Posted by: "G MANJU SAINATH" [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:06 am (PDT)

The DGP probably visited Berkeley assuming to see the brains 'actually' operating the red-terror in India. I feel he had anticipated what was set to happen there.

The entire program at Berkeley displays incivility and borders on boorishness.

On 10/13/08, CGNet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]com> wrote:

> [Moderator's Note: We received this email message from PRO, DGP
> Chhattisgarh.]

1b.

Re: Lies do not help anyone: DGP Chhattisgarh

Posted by: "Dipankar" [EMAIL PROTECTED]   dbasu2002in

Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:05 am (PDT)

As Shalini has already stated: "holding public officials accountable
for their actions" is an extremely important function for citizens in
a democracy. "This is not an act of hostility or animosity--just the
basic task of responsible citizenry in a democracy." The program in
Berkeley displays neither incivility nor boorishness; the program
merely shows some concerned citizens asking some necessary questions
to an official of the State. We should be thankful to these citizens
for this service they have provided.

If the debate is to be really taken forward, someone sympathetic to
the DGP should probably try to answer the substantive questions that
Shalini raised rather than raising inconsequential side isuues like
the civility of the gathering or the manner in which slogans were
raised and questions asked.

Dipankar

--- In chhattisgarh-[EMAIL PROTECTED]com, "G MANJU SAINATH"
<gmanjusainath@...> wrote:

> The DGP probably visited Berkeley assuming to see the
brains 'actually' operating the red-terror in India. I feel he had
anticipated what was set to happen there.

> The entire program at Berkeley displays incivility and borders on
boorishness.

> On 10/13/08, CGNet <[EMAIL PROTECTED].> wrote:
> >
> > [Moderator's Note: We received this email message from PRO, DGP
> > Chhattisgarh.]

1c.

Re: Lies do not help anyone: DGP Chhattisgarh

Posted by: "sri venkat" [EMAIL PROTECTED]   viji123

Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:53 pm (PDT)

I thank DGP Vishwa Ranjan for his clarification since there were many who got confused with his signing of the postcard.

While I applaud his courage for taking on the maoist sympathizers at Berkeley, I felt it was inappropriate for him to agree for such a meeting in the first place.

Shalini states," holding public officials accountable for their actions" is an extremely important function for citizens in a democracy"

True enough, but that is only meant for those organizations that believe in and follow democracy themselves. The Naxalites in Chhattisgarh have been responsible for gross violations of law and are literally at war with India. Democracy is to serve people and not to be co-opted for the needs of maoists, criminals and terrorists.

The maoists in Chhattisgarh have categorically made it clear that they are not interested in democracy
Maoists claim to serve people, denounce democracy
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chhattisgarh-net/message/8221

It goes without saying that organizations that even remotely support the maoists should not be entertained at all.

Two of the major organizations of the Berkeley meet of DGP Vishwa Ranjan -- AID and FOSA have been accused of anti India posturing and pro Pakistan, China stand.

To conclude, it is important that state governments in India do some research and are aware of the background of some human rights organizations abroad before they commit to any meeting organized by them since that could provide some legitimacy to maoist activities, which are causing violence, loss of life and general havoc in India.

I wish DGP Vishwa Ranjan and security forces all the luck in eliminating the scourge of violent naxalites in Chhattisgarh. Any grievances should be redressed through non-violent, democratic process which the constitution provides for. The naxalites should choose to get their voices heard from ballots and not bullets.

Venkitesh

2a.

Re: Chhattisgarh Police Chief at Berkeley: A Report

Posted by: "G MANJU SAINATH" [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:13 pm (PDT)

Dear Rahul,

I too wish to join the bandwagon of the Maoist sympathisers if the Maoists
show a little sign of sensibility, sensitivity, benevolence towards the
tribals. It is not so that shedding tears for the tribals is the job
of Maoists, NGOs or the organisations like SC/ST Welfare Union or
Association. We, the peace-loving people too cry silently on seeing the
pathetic state of tribal.
Earlier Rulers and governments were looting them and now it is the Naxals.
At least the governemnts were not killing the tribal but in
Kangaroo courts Maoists hack people to death in front of their families. I
had reported some incidents of Naxalites crushing the so-called informer's
head with stone, beheading them and chopping them into pieces. Just a
suspicion that one Ghasia or Muria is a police informer and he is finished.
And the biggest hypocritic statement is 'Maoists are bringing a
revolution'. Can't say about others but I don't need a revolution stained
with tribal blood.

I will be the first to felicitate the Maoists if they eliminate the corrupt
Netas, bureaucrats or technocrats. But none of these monsters are ever
troubled. Instead the innocent tribals are killed.
Chhattisgarh's former DGP VK Das once told me, the total revenue Maoists
generate by setting up a base in Bastar is around Rs 300 crores. This figure
I am talking about was six years back. Imagine how much money Maoists would
have accumulated in their four decades of REVOLUTION. If the intention was
to get the country rid of corruption, bring a revolution and get the people
rid of inefficient people sitting at the helm of affairs, a big war against
the state of India could have been waged and the Maoists would have freed
the country from the clutches of neo-imperialists- the Netas and
bureaucrats.
Leave the war- with this money, tribals of Bastar would have led a royal
life.
I think the whole money is going to take care of the families of the Maoist
leaders and their supporter NGOs. I have seen several people who
were zero till an idea struck them to open a human rights shop. After the
NGOs were opened its operators started living a lavish life. They were no
less emperors.
My experience of the NGOs is that many of them are paid to criticise- *Criticise
government and police whenever and wherever the situation demands, conduct
fact-finding wherever there is a police-Naxal encounter and whenever a
Naxalite is killed put the police in trouble by saying that the encounter
was fake and 'innocent people' were killed. Approach NHRC, SHRC, High Courts
and Supreme Courts and file petitions after petitions. Sometimes criticize
Maoists with mild words whenever they commit genocide but while criticizing
Maoists, hold the government squarely responsible for the failure in
containing the Naxal violence. Then tell people that the
Naxal movement began because of exploitation.* A simple job and money flows
in. See, how easy is making money. Isn't it?
I think such NGOs are more dreaded than the Neta and bureaucrats.

Regards

On 10/12/08, rahul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]com> wrote:

> the freedom and stature of the press is an integral part of any liberal
> democracy even if it is not specifically mentioned in the constitution.
> James Madison one of the signatories of the original bill of rights in the
> United States has famously stated - "were it left to me to decide whether we
> should have a government without newspapers or newspapers without
> government, I should not hesitate for a moment to prefer the latter!"

2b.

Re: Chhattisgarh Police Chief at Berkeley: A Report

Posted by: "Gishu" [EMAIL PROTECTED]   mgirishin

Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:58 am (PDT)

Congratulations all, the elections announced, so what next? I agree
with Manju on certain points, now a days poster of netas are found
more then any one in this universe.

Boss whoever it is " law should be same for all" let Maoist punish
people within themselves and set example if some one found guilty in a
crime against common people.

People must think and elect right people, please vote and set example,
please stand up and fight election and set example.....it's muhin
which one need to carry on.....

<gmanjusainath@...> wrote:

> Dear Rahul,
>
> I too wish to join the bandwagon of the Maoist sympathisers if the
Maoists
> show a little sign of sensibility, sensitivity, benevolence towards the
> tribals. It is not so that shedding tears for the tribals is the job
> of Maoists, NGOs or the organisations like SC/ST Welfare Union or
> Association. We, the peace-loving people too cry silently on seeing the
> pathetic state of tribal.

> I will be the first to felicitate the Maoists if they eliminate the
corrupt Netas, bureaucrats or technocrats.

2c.

Re: Chhattisgarh Police Chief at Berkeley: A Report

Posted by: "rahul" [EMAIL PROTECTED]   aarohini

Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:34 am (PDT)

Manju the debate is not about the verities or otherwise of the maoist movement or about the corruption of NGOs. the point is whether Binayak Sen is also such a corrupt human rights activist involved in furthering the purportedly devious designs of the maoists. you have still not come up with any proof to nail Binayak and nor has the police. in normal circumstances Binayak would have been out on bail but given the mayhem being wrought by the naxals the judiciary too wants to send a tough message that no one should have any truck with them howsoever remote.

Rahul Banerjee

74,Krishnodayanagar,Khandwa naka,Indore,Madhya Pradesh, India-452001

Cell no: +919926791773

webpage: http://rahulbanerjee.notlong.com

blog: http://anar-kali.blogspot.com

> [...]

Maoists, hold the government squarely responsible for the failure in
containing the Naxal violence. Then tell people that the
Naxal movement began because of exploitation.* A simple job and money flows
in. See, how easy is making money. Isn't it?
I think such NGOs are more dreaded than the Neta and bureaucrats.

Regards

On 10/12/08, rahul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]com> wrote:

> the freedom and stature of the press is an integral part of any liberal
> democracy even if it is not specifically mentioned in the constitution.
> James Madison one of the signatories of the original bill of rights in the
> United States has famously stated - "were it left to me to decide
whether we
> should have a government without newspapers or newspapers without
> government, I should not hesitate for a moment to prefer the latter!"

3.

Date of Assembly election in Chhattisgarh

Posted by: "vijendra Aznabi" [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:30 am (PDT)

Election Commission of India has declared the dates for Legislative Assembly
Election in Chattisgarh. The term for second legislative Assembly of
Chattisgarh is formally due to expire on 21st December 2008.
The election will be held in two phase. In the first phase, election for 39
contituency of Durg, Rajnandgaon, Kawardha, Mahasamund, Dhamtari and all 5
districts of Bstar region will be held. While, in the next phase election
will be held for remaining 51 seats from Raipur, Bilaspur, Korba,
Janjgir-champa, Raigarh, Jashpur, Sarguja and Korya districts.
The date of issue of notification for the first phase will be 20th October.
Last date for nomination will be 27th October while scrutiny of nomination
is 29th October. Candidates can withdraw their name till 31st October. The
proposed date for polling is 14th November.

For the second phase of election, 27th October is the date of issue of
gazette notification. Last date for nomination is 03rd Nov while the
scrutiny of nomination will be on 04th November. last date for withdrawl of
candidature is 06th Nov and the date for polling will be 20th November 2008.

According to the Election commission, counting of votes for both the phase
will be held on 08th December 2008.The process of election shall be
completed before 13th December 2008.

In the state of Chhattisgarh, out of 90 seats 29 are reserved for members of
Schedule Tribes (ST) while 10 are for Scheduled Caste (SC). After the
delimitation, 4 ST seats are wiped out whereas ST seats remain intact. In
the last Assembly, 34 seats were reserved for STs.

According to the election commission, there are 1,52, 07,734 electors in the
state of Chattisgarh and 64.5% has their electoral photo ID card. The
polling will be conducted on 20,952 polling stations. In the last assembly
election, the percentage of voting has gone to 71%.

Vijendra
4.

Nendra human shield volunteers threatened by maoists

Posted by: "vcadantewada ashram" [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:34 am (PDT)

Dear friends,
I am quite shocked to see the overall silence of civil society on stoppage
of our friendship foot march by Maoists. I assume we all stand for common
people's human and constitutional rights, and we oppose all sort of denial
of these rights, and for our this stand we are surviving as and enjoying our
status of human rights activists. But if we remain silent on certain things
coz our such _expression_ may irritate some forces, than surely we are going
to harm our own reputation and the very cause we are fighting for.

We are living and working with tribals at grass root level, we are
witnessing their every day's sufferings, we raised our voice against Salwa
Judum and further to disband Salwa Judum, we have been helping the process
of people going back to their village from Camps, allowing villagers to come
out to weekly markets and helping people's return from other states to
their own native village. This friendship foot march was organised to help
this process on people's demand. I am still not understanding why we were
stopped and our open letter to Maoists is still unanswered.

Right now I have received message from our Nendra human shield members
that Maoists have given them notice to leave Nendra by tomorrow that
is 15thof October 2008.
The human shield which remained unbroken against Salwa Judum is again on
another trial. We are not leaving Nendra, because people want us to remain
their, we have brought people from Andhra Pradesh on our assurance of
protecting them against any attack from Salwa Judum which this village has
witnessed four times. We can not leave people in mid way . Me and my all
tribal co workers are ready to die for the people of Bastar.

Himanshu Kumar

Vanvasi Chetna Ashram

Kawalnar- Dantewada- 494449

07856-202479 / 9425260031
5a.

Re: Stetsman edit on NHRC report

Posted by: "rajshreejyoti" [EMAIL PROTECTED]   rajshreejyoti

Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:09 am (PDT)

I don't think the so called INDEPENDENT OBSERVER are actually
Independent. Now the situation in bastar looks like a fight between
state sponsored and Moist sponsored.

RAJSHREE

--- In chhattisgarh-[EMAIL PROTECTED]com, Nandini Sundar
<nandinisundar@...> wrote:

> Statesman 10 October 2008
>
> Flawed report
> NHRC defends Salwa Judum in complete turnaround
> The report presented to the Supreme Court by a fact-finding team of
the National Human Rights Commission exculpating the Salwa Judum is
an extraordinary document. It is extraordinary not least because of
the context. Just over a fortnight ago this team had submitted a
report to the court and indicted this state-run militia formed
ostensibly to counter the Naxals who operate in Chhattisgarh. Now it
has done a volte-face virtually telling the court that the Salwa
Judum is blameless, that it is indeed necessary and that the militia
helps to protect tribals who are oppressed by the Naxals. What do we
make of this? One will never be sure, of course, of what has
transpired behind the scenes to bring about this astounding
turnaround ~ but it inspires little faith in agencies that are
connected to the state. Every independent observer who has gone to
Chhattisgarh (with the possible exception of those patronised by the
state) has had harsh words to say about the
> Salwa Judum. No less than the Naxals they are responsible for
unleashing violence on the tribals, displacing them and pushing state
agendas. Important among this, as the media has often reported, is to
open up territory rich in forests and minerals for subsequent
exploitation by rogue entrepreneurs.
> It is common knowledge that the Salwa Judum routinely and forcibly
recruits child warriors ~ in the manner that they are pressed into
war in failed states like the Congo, Liberia and Sierra Leone. Even a
team set up by the Planning Commission and led by the respected
bureaucrat and land reform expert, Mr Debabrata Bandopadhyay, had
posted a severe indictment of the Salwa Judum and recommended that it
be wound up. Alongside, this exculpation of a patently illegal
militia, comes a severe indictment of the Naxals, at whose door is
laid the entire burden of blame of unleashing violence on the tribals
of the region, with no recognition of the fact that the Maoists in
Chhattisgarh enjoy wide backing of the tribals. This is not meant to
be a defence of the methods used by the Maoists, but a recognition of
the realities on the ground. It is only in passing ~ in the last
paragraph ~ that the report mentions the socio-economic deprivation
that has resulted in
> the ultra-Left phenomenon. One hopes the courts will reject these
findings.

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance