Some people do make money from it. I mean there is no way that it is necessary to charge a couple of thousand dollars for any dog. But once some breeders see they have a pup that is going to be really small or have really neat colors, they suddenly up the price. I am sorry, but I just don't understand that! I mean why is a cute little bridle 2 1/2 pounder worth so much more than the 6 pound brown??? To me, they are all worth a million bucks, but I, like you, am happy to simply cover my out of pocket expenses. Sometimes I do, and some times I loose a LOT. Of course, I can understand the champion show line dogs being a bit more, after all the buyer will possibly win a lot of money over the years from show winnings.
p.s. yours are adorable!
Marsha

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2006 3:57 PM
Subject: Re: [Chihuahuas] Safe breeding weight for Chis?

Hi Marsha , you seem like a smart woman and I like what you have to say.   I agree with you. I have been breeding since the late 99 early 2000, but I started out with merles and they were bigger dogs. I am now getting into some of the smaller dogs and even with the experience I have I am treading lightly.   I will wait on HObb's 3 rd or 4th heat because she is small. I am also looking for the right male for her.. I have gone back to the breeder that I got her from and we have been talking genetic's so I get a male that comes from a small genetic tree. Hobb's (my brindle) will weigh between 3 12 to 4 lbs when grown. I  will be very careful with her and if it doesn't feel right then it isn't and I will wait till it does..

Also , my lil Margie is due to go into her second heat and she is 4 1/4 lb.. I might wait till her 3rd heat to breed her.. I have Petie who weighs the same as her but I think she is young.. I will decide once she goes into heat but if I had to decide today then I would wait one more heat cycle.. My opinion..

If you want to see who I am talking about they are all named on my site.. www.cindyrillis-chihuahuas.net    Cindy

P. S. Marsha, I just reread what you wrote.. If it wasn't for people who care about standard of the chi, the health of the dog, and all around well being then I worry what would happen to this breed...  I don't like mixing the lines, and for those that want a pure bred chi  , a good breeder is nice to have around; especially if they are doing it for the love of the chi, not the $$$.   Of course you need to recover what you put into the dogs; plus time for poop pick up and cleaning supplies, and such.. Loving the babies I figure is for free, but if I recover the basic's then I am happy . Last night we had to buy dog food. A 35 lb bag of Royal Canine  puppy med 32 and a 3 lb bag of Royal Canine Chihuahua 28 was 38.00 plus 13.00 and some canned food of 5.00. totalled me 56.00.  This is what I feed for the month.. I have two that have pups in the oven right now so they are a vit. suppliment and then I make them a doggie corn bread treat... Plus I buy all kinds of doggie chews and treats..   They have collars and chains ( I walk them - weather permitting) and a whole laundry basket full of toys.. I can't get out of wal mart with out just that one toy..   Also I buy blankets for them and doggie beds..This all adds up. but I don't mind.. I love every minute of what I am doing.

I am explaining when someone doesn't understand when you ask $$ for the pup. You really don't make that much after you look at all you put into it. And if your mamma had delivery problems then you are in the red and hope the next litter will help rebuild your credit card back up for the next time.. So you have to love what  you are doing.

marsha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

This would depend mostly on the sir being used! For instance, even if you
have a 4 pound female and a sir that throws 6 pound puppies, you are asking
for trouble. However, if you have a sir that throws really small pups, you
can go with a lower weight. Breeders generally will not breed a chi under 3
pounds, but even 3 pounds would not be smart unless they are very
experienced and know alot about their sirs background. I have a 2 1/2 pound
female that I am trying to get to 3 pound so I can breed with a sir that I
know throws small pups. HOWEVER, I have over 10 years experience breeding
chis and am very familiar with my sir. I would NOT recommend this for
someone who does not know exactly what they are doing and does not have the
experience and ability to step in should difficulties arise during delivery!
For a new breeder, I would not recommend them starting out with a chi less
than 4 or possibly 4 1/2 pounds.

And for the record, I am not attempting to breed for the SIZE. Size is not
no where near as important as the health of the pups. I am seeking to breed
Dinah because she is so close to standards. She has all the characteristics
I am looking for in a chi. This would be her 2nd litter, but she had a
litter before I got her, so I don't know how that went. She was, in my
opinion, to small to have been bred by the previous owner! My plans is to
breed her to my small throwing sir, keep the largest female that is up to
standards, to breed with my more experienced male later on. The male I am
planning to use with Dinah, will not be used with other females because he
does throw to small....less chance of breedable pups. Any pups born that are
not expected to reach at least 3 1/2 pounds, are sold on a spay/ neuter
contract only.

I am sure some of you non breeders may find all of this offensive, but the
breeders will understand what I am saying. Breeders must do stuff like this
so that non breeders can have those perfect little chis they love so much.
Marsha