Hi,
Our little "Pixil" has a luxating patella too, but someone on this
board recommended conservative treatment as well and Pixil is doing
GREAT!  For the inflammation and pain, our vet prescribed "metacam".
It worked very well, and is in drop form, so, you just need to drop
the required amount on a treat or something and your chi will gobble
it up!  Pixil is 6 pounds, so she received 6 drops on a piece of food
once a day. We kept up this treatment for 10 days only, and restricted
her jumping. She has not had an episode since (the knee has stayed in
place).
Hope this helps your baby,
Mary

Off topic, I voted for Tia too!  She is really cute.  I entered Pixil
in the contest, and, if you would be so kind to give her a vote (or
twenty :)) she would be very happy!
http://www.pamperedpawsboutique.com/PhotoContestpixil.html