My vet is adamant that chihuahuas, and a couple other breeds, ALWAYS wear
harnesses instead of collars.  If you will feel the front of your chi's
throat, you'll very easily feel the trachea.  It is waaaay too near the
surface, exposed and fragile in chihuahuas.  The pressure of a collar on the
trachea, not to mention the added pressure of a leash tug, can damage or
collapse the trachea.

There are wonderful, inexpensive and tiny harnesses available at
www.cetaceacorp.com.  I love these harnesses because they don't touch the
neck, and are step-in harnesses with only one click-in fastener.  They're
fantastic.

Anne