Wow.   That must have been something to watch.  I can't even imagine a
mother letting her son get bit by a dog because she thought he was
protecting her.  

When I was a kid we had a part Chihuahua/part Fox Terrier dog.  It was our
first dog and he was passed around between five kids and my Mom.  He was so
mean and one of my brother's friends brought a wrapped dog toy for Skipper
and we couldn't get close to the Christmas tree because he was guarding it.
I don't know why we kept him so long.LOL  However, looking back now, taking
a puppy and it is passed around and around and it didn't really know who to
be loyal to.  He loved each of us.but at different times.  I could be
sitting with him and my sister sat down next to us and he would be mean to
her, and then it could be reverse.never really knew he was going to  feel
like he should be loyal to.  I have heard that Fox Terriers are mean, and I
don't really know for sure.  But there was no formal training for Skipper.he
kind of ruled the roost.  He developed some pretty bad prostate problems and
then he started marking all over the house, and he would get up in the
middle of the night and be between my bed and my sister's bed sounding like
he was going to vomit up from the very end of his intestines.  Finally, we
had to have him put to sleep.the prostate problems was just doing him in and
I think he may have had something else wrong for all the stomach stuff that
he was doing.

After that.I am not sure why I wanted a Chihuahua.LOL.  But, Dolly & Desi
are nowhere like Skipper.  I have never hit them and probably the worst
thing that I did was use the water squirt bottle on them.  The learn from
love and listening to what I say.  The thing that bothers me though, is that
not all Chihuahuas are sweet and gentle; I cannot even count how many times
I may have had Dolly & Desi on a walk, in their stroller somewhere, or maybe
at a park.  Parents of small children let them run over and pet Dolly &
Desi.  First.I don't think that a mother should just be so uninterested in
the safety of her children; but even though Dolly & Desi are so sweet, I
still know that they are dogs and have animal instinct.I don't know if
something will snap inside of them because of the way a kid touched them or
made a face at them, etc.  I just wish - in general for all children to dog
encounters - that parents would think a bit more about protecting their
children.  That is very confusing to me.

 

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On
Behalf Of Peggy & The Girls
Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2012 5:47 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [Chihuahuas] cranky behaviot

 

  


Okay, Sorry, I didn't see that you also posted a question. Hey, there is
always some one in every group that wants to try and stir people up by
exaggerating what some one else posted, instead of offering real help.

 

I remember seeing a video by the Dog Whisperer about a little male chi who
was dubbed the Demon Dog. It was quite impressive, how after an half hour
the dog calmed down. The chi hated his mothers young son. The mom was more
worried about the chi because he was so small then she was about her son's
bites and stitches. It was the first time that I ever saw the Dog Whisperer
get mad at a human and was ready to walk out and not help her. I think you
could probably find the video on his site or National Geographic. 

 

Basically, each time the dog would jump up on the couch where the mother
was, he would try to bite Cesar or her son, because the dog felt that he HAD
to protect her. The truth is that over-protectiveness is aggression and if
the mother was really the leader of the pack then the dog would

not have feel that it had to protect her to begin with, but would have known
that his rank was third in the pack. In a real dog pack, none of the other
dogs protect the leader, they know that they don't have to, because
protecting is the leaders job.

 

So when ever the dog would jump up on the couch, Cesar would grab him from
behind and put him on the floor, after a couple of rounds of that, when the
dog would try again, Cesar would just click his fingers at him and the dog
backed off. Finally when Cesar saw that the dog was calming down a bit, he
allowed the dog on the couch, but he sat much closer to the mother. The dog
then walked across the back top of the couch and went to bite Cesar. Cesar
then gave him the back of his hand, which he held in a fist and as the dog
went to bite he moved it back and forth in front of the the dogs face and
gave a little shove. With that, the dog retreated a little and then Cesar
grabbed him and layed belly up on his lap all the while the dog fought and
tried to bite.He kept him like that until the dog submitted. In the middle
of all of this, he also had the woman reprimand the dog. Then it was the
son's turn. It only took a couple of minutes and the dog didn't attack the
son. Cesar went back a couple of weeks later and the dog and boy were best
buddies. The dog even stopped growling at visitors. You really need to see
the video to get a full understanding as to how he did it. 

 



 

 

 

 

-------Original Message-------

 

From: C.M. <mailto:[email protected]> 

Date: 1/22/2012 7:08:44 PM

To: [email protected]

Subject: Re: [Chihuahuas] cranky behaviot

 

  

How did you teach him not to growl at people? My boy won't let anybody get
near him except me. When people come over, he barks his head off and nips at
their heels, but calms down in a little bit. How can I fix that?

When I take him to the vet, I have to open his mouth so the doc can see his
teeth. When I adopted him from the shelter, they said they couldn't exam him
because he was too fierce and wouldn't allow it.

You know, "writing this out loud" makes him sound like a little terror, but
he's not really. He's protecting his property and his mom. But at the same
time, shouldn't he be more calm once people are welcomed inside?

C.

 

From: Pam Dean <[email protected]>
To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]> 
Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2012 2:46 PM
Subject: Re: [Chihuahuas] cranky behaviot

My little one is a little skitzy about people sticking their faces in
hers..Perhaps because he is very tiny and fearful.  Sees it as a sign of
aggression.  He is fine with me..probably a mix of trust and being alpha but
a little skitzy with others.  I have taught him, however, no growling and
aggression with any human, but you can tell he doesn't much like and I warn
people.

 

 

 


                



<<image001.png>>

<<image002.jpg>>

<<image003.jpg>>

Reply via email to