Way to go Rebecca! 
 

 
 
 
 
-------Original Message-------
 
From: Rebecca
Date: 1/23/2012 12:13:10 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [Chihuahuas] cranky behavior PAM
 
  
Both of my Dane's are advanced trained in obedience. Diego will get trained
as soon as life settles a bit. My husband broke his leg and ankle in Dec. 8(


There is nothing more freeing than a well trained dog. I took the two Danes
to the self doggy wash yesterday. A woman walked In and was afraid of my
Mason, even though he is as gentle as a lamb  i think his size scared her 
but While washing Daisy I said "mason come! Down" and he did just that.
First command! Although I don't do double commands.   It does pay to be the
alpha in your pack. Stop unwanted behavior before it gets out if hand.   

Rebecca



Sent from my iPhone 

On Jan 23, 2012, at 12:02 AM, Peggy & The Girls <[email protected]> wrote:


  
Years ago, I did professional dog training mainly with large aggressive dogs
 All training has to start with the basic training....why? Because basic
training puts you in charge as the alpha leader. When you have any type of
issues with your dog, basic training should be a daily exercise, if you see
any regression, start the daily basic training again.
 
Princess, my Eskie was deemed to be destroyed because of her aggression,
mainly at other dogs, but she also showed some fear of strangers. Eskies are
known to be wary of strangers to begin with, so if that fear has been
escalated, it only makes the dog look like it is a real
aggressive attack dog. This is the main reason why the Eskie rescues, go out
of there way to get them out of shelters as soon as possible, because they
do not do well in a shelter at all, and for the most part, people that do
not know the breed, immediately assume that they are aggressive. 
The truth is, the only reason why I was allowed to adopt her was because a
woman who worked there at the time knew of my past reputation for training
aggressive dogs. She was delighted to see that Princess would be saved. I
soon learned that not only did she have the classical Eskie personality, but
some one had been training her to be aggressive and increased her prey drive
to the hill. It took 8 months of daily training and constant socializing to
be able to trust her around people. She has been my apartment complex's
mascot because people saw how she was when I first got her and what a
beautiful social dog she has become. 
 
Even if your dog already knows the basic commands, the basic warm up routine
is important to keep them on there toes, that you are the alpha and in
charge, and they have nothing to worry about, like having to prove that they
are the alpha, be it for over guarding there owner or excessive barking,
nipping at strangers feet, or any unwanted behavior. A dog shouldn't have to
worry about it's daily life, he should know that you are the protector and
you will protect him. When he barks when the door bell rings, his only job
is to warn you, just like a pack dog warns the others in a pack. It is not
his job to protect you unless you command him to, much the same way an alpha
dog would tell his pack. In the wild when two alpha dogs are fighting for
the pack, the pack never interferes, and it should be the same way with an
inside dog, they should never interfere when a stranger or company comes
into the home.
 
All basic training should be done with a leash on the dog, even indoors. It
tells the dog that you are guiding it and it is not on it's own to do what
ever it wants. The leash is the first step of putting you in control and
they know it. Take 15-20 minutes everyday, maybe even 2x a day if you feel
the issue is strong enough. Voice control is very important, no baby and
high pitch talk, only a firm but gently command.  
It's up to you as to whether you want to use voice control for a reward or
treats. Personally, I prefer voice control, other wise some dogs only do
what you want for the treat and then at other times they don't listen. I
will use a treat in the beginning if I see that a dog is showing exceptional
fear of a human and then eventually switch over to voice control.
 
Begin when the house is calm and no TV, radios, other dogs, etc., and
preferably the same time of day to establish a routine. It's best to start
training after they potty, and feed after the training session. Start by
walking him around in circles in your living room. Your teaching him that he
has to follow. After a few rounds, stand in front of him and put him in the
sit position. When he does what you want, reward him, when he doesn't do
what you want ignore him, wait a moment and give him the command again. Do
not use the word 'No' when he disappoints you, just ignore him and stick to
one word commands.  Once he does the sit instantly, then teach him the 'down
 command. Repeat the two commands until he does them both instantly. Then
walk around with him a few more times and do a sit and down again. If he
passes with an A+ then take the lead off and it is play time for a couple of
minutes. Always leave a training session on a good note with lots of praise.
Do those two commands for a couple of days or however long it takes for him
to do them instantly on the first command. Once you have achieved that, then
add on the stay command. First do the sit and down, then the walk around the
room and then the sit and stay. He should be able to stay 2-3 minutes and
then the come and give a tug on the leash, and of course the good boy.
 
If you do the above for 5-6 days, by the 7th day, your dog should be able to
sit, down, stay, come, INSTANTLY, with only one command for each. Then you
start extending the 'stay' time and walk further and further away, until you
are able to leave the room and come back 2-3 minutes later and he is still
in the same spot. 
 
That is basic training, and the 'stay' will be come invaluable to you when
strangers come to your door, because you won't have to worry about them
running out the door or running to attack a stranger.  If your dog won't do
that, then you are not in charge, he is!! And the problem will never stop. A
well trained dog should not have to go into a crate or another room, just
because you have a stranger in your home. An owner should be able to put the
dog in a sit/stay anywhere, or a down/stay on there bed and not worry about
the dog going beserk with excessive barking. The basic training will
actually stop the excessive barking, because he knows that he is on command
and in the spot where you showed him to go. 
 
Yes, both my girls do all of the above on command and more. Even Gigi with
her little brain damage got it in three weeks and no longer goes into a
panic of fear barking, and Princess no longer goes into a panic of
aggressice barking. They both walk to there beds when I give a hand signal
or say 'bed' and 'stay' and 'quiet'. They don't budge until I release them.
 
The above steps work beautifully with puppies too. Of course socializing
your dogs and puppies with daily outdoor walks is especially beneficial, and
works hand in hand with getting them over the excessive barking and fear of
strangers.
 
And yes I do believe in training puppies and stop any unwanted behavior
before it escalates into a nasty dog. I just don't believe in any type of
physical  reprimand on a puppy no matter what they do wrong, when I know for
a fact that the reward and ignore method works so much faster and
establishes much more trust with no fears in a dog.  JMO
 
<GIRLS&~1.PNG>
 
 
 
 
 
 
-------Original Message-------
 
From: Pam Dean
Date: 1/22/2012 10:05:23 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [Chihuahuas] cranky behavior PAM
 
  
Telling visitors in advance to ignore them actually works if you can outlast
them.  If they don't make eye contact or try to make up to them, the
furbabies don't see them as a threat.  Then they will sneak around and sniff
at them instead of yapping endlessly at them. I dont mind a little yap and
then a settle, but when they are getting off on it and not listening, then
quiet room..They even know it by the quiet room lol..I will say "Quiet room
and point" and they slink off pitifully lol



From: C.M. <[email protected]>
To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]> 
Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2012 9:58 PM
Subject: Re: [Chihuahuas] cranky behavior PAM



  
Thanks Pam. Great advice.
So, I'll pick up both of my little ones and put them in the bathroom and in
a couple of minutes - after my guest or repairman has settled in, I'll let
the pups out. Right? 
Some repairmen, like the Cox Cable guy, just shoo them away and pay no
attention. The dogs immediately calm down. Interesting, huh?
When my son comes over, the little dogs jump, run around and bark, but he
pays no attention to them. I ask my son to tell them to stop, but he doesn't
 so it's just me barking at them like they're barking at him. I think maybe
somebody needs to be in control here........LOL


From: Pam Dean <[email protected]>
To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]> 
Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2012 6:45 PM
Subject: Re: [Chihuahuas] cranky behaviot



  
Usually that type of behavior is fear, although they behave like they are
ferocious.lol.. I think they must totally trust in you and know you will
protect them..as Alpha.  I take mine to the vet and they know I will protect
them and they have never reacted negativelty. The vet and staff can do
anything to them as long as I hand them over to them and tell them it is ok.
 Of course I have had my dogs from puppies so there are no abuse issues in
their history and I have developed this trust.  If people come over, they do
bark at the door.  But then they are ordered to quiet.  If they do not
listen, they are removed to the quiet room.  They hate that because they
miss all the fun and they are nosy.  After a few minutes, they are let out
again.  I think they have to understand that negative behavior has
consequences and positive gets rewards.  When they are let out, and are
quiet they get treats.  Most of the time they behave.


From: C.M. <[email protected]>
To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]> 
Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2012 7:08 PM
Subject: Re: [Chihuahuas] cranky behaviot



  
How did you teach him not to growl at people? My boy won't let anybody get
near him except me. When people come over, he barks his head off and nips at
their heels, but calms down in a little bit. How can I fix that?
When I take him to the vet, I have to open his mouth so the doc can see his
teeth. When I adopted him from the shelter, they said they couldn't exam him
because he was too fierce and wouldn't allow it.
You know, "writing this out loud" makes him sound like a little terror, but
he's not really. He's protecting his property and his mom. But at the same
time, shouldn't he be more calm once people are welcomed inside?
C.


From: Pam Dean <[email protected]>
To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]> 
Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2012 2:46 PM
Subject: Re: [Chihuahuas] cranky behaviot

My little one is a little skitzy about people sticking their faces in hers.
Perhaps because he is very tiny and fearful.  Sees it as a sign of
aggression.  He is fine with me..probably a mix of trust and being alpha but
a little skitzy with others.  I have taught him, however, no growling and
aggression with any human, but you can tell he doesn't much like and I warn
people.

 
 









 




 

<<attachment: GIRLS&~1.PNG>>

Reply via email to