Awwww. The shelter I volunteer for is Harbor Humane Society in West
Michigan During the summer.  I take most of the pictures for petfinder.
 Our typical population IS 300ish animals.  When an animal comes in we look
through a book of lost animal reports and also check Craigslist for lost
reports.  Many animals are reunited with their owners that way that aren't
microchipped.  All of our big dogs have kuranda beds and blankets unless
they shred/eat them.  The little ones and kitties get blankets.  We do hose
out the kennels but the animals are not in them when we do it.  We got a
chi in a few weeks ago who had hardly any hair and was skin and bones.  Our
kennel manager is fostering him and he already looks tons better.  Our
facility is not deluxe but it is clean and the animals are treated
humanely. We are also fortunate to have a bunch of volunteers who walk and
socialize the dogs and cats.  The Chi problem in CA and Miami is
heartbreaking.  The rescue I help with in the winter pulls small dogs  from
the Miami animal services.  The dogs from there are always sick.
Sue