For those of you who are interested in the planting of the crops, how much
of the new crop was Yoshon, being planted before pesach. Here are the
statistics from the USDA:

Pesach was from April 8 to Apr 15.

New Spring wheat planted as of Apr 8 was 3% of the total new crop, as of
Apr 15 was 4%.
New barley planted as of Apr 8 was 6%, as of Apr 15 was 10%
New Oats planted as of Apr 8 was 3% as of Apr 15 was 4%.

As you can see, almost none of the new crop is Yoshon. Therefore, I expect
the Chodosh problem this upcoming season to be about the same as last year,
with spring wheat, oats and barley being mostly Yoshon after the harvest
comes in. The new Chodosh problem should start around August and September.
I hope to send out more information as it becomes available. Meanwhile
enjoy a pleasant Chodosh-free spring and summer.

Yoseph Herman

this list by sending a message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Then if you wish to resume receiving these
messages from your new service, send a message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can request several reports by sending an E-mail message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Then in the body of the message type the
command: "get" (without the quotes) followed by the name of the file that
you want. Type each request on a new line. Make sure that you copy the file
name exactly as spelled including capital letters. These reports are now
available:

get Guidelines.txt
This gets a long report on Guidelines to Mashgichim on Chodosh

get Chometz.txt
This gives my report on supermarkets and chometz after pesach.
Project Chodosh is an independent activity, not affiliated with any movement
or organization. We thank the Jewish Internet Fund (JIF) for allowing us to use
their E mail distribution services. The JIF  provides free email
and web hosting to Jewish education and outreach organizations.