CHODOSH BULLETIN

August 29 05

On August 22 I sent out an urgent warning bulletin.  In there I tried to alert the public that the Chodosh season is beginning much earlier than usual for freshly baked products. There I advised that as of August 22 freshly-baked products such as challehs and breads may be Chodosh. That corresponding date for the Midwest was August 15. This bulletin is an update on that advisory.

The earlier advisory had an implicit fear that many bakeries that want to bake Yoshon may not be aware of the early switch-over to Chodosh flour.  Therefore they may not have made provisions to acquire Yoshon flours. By September 1 it is safe to assume that all such bakeries will have switched over to Yoshon flour.  This is because most years the switchover occurs approximately at that time.  Therefore as of the middle of this week we believe it is safe to purchase freshly-baked products at all bakeries that intend to produce Yoshon.  However the Yoshon-observant public is reminded that baked products made in non-Yoshon bakeries may be Chodosh at this time, as of the purchase date of August 22.

The following is a summary of the recommended cutoff dates for purchasing different types of Chodosh related foods.  This is initial estimate which may be revised shortly.

Freshly baked bakery products from non-Yoshon bakeries should not be purchased after August 22.

Freshly baked products from Yoshon bakeries may be purchased after September 1 without checking with the bakery to ask if they switched over to Yoshon flour.

Packaged products containing wheat other than pasta or noodles will probably be Yoshon up to a purchase date of at least September 7.

Pasta and noodles probably Yoshon to purchase up to at least September 14.

Packaged products containing oats probably Yoshon if purchased up to October 1.  An exception may be Quaker products that could be Chodosh starting a purchase date of September 15.

Barley products probably Yoshon if purchased up to October 1.

Remember, these are initial tentative dates.  Many of these dates are going to be revised in the near future.

Yoseph Herman

The Guide to Chodosh