What do we need Mach semaphores for?  You mention issues with named pipes,
but what about anonymous pipes?  I'm curious why we need a different
implementation on OSX and Linux.  It seems worth while if we can have a
shared implementation that meets all of our requirements.

What are the requirements?

-Darin