Re-forwarding yet again...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Amanda Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 10:22 PM
Subject: Re: [chromium-dev] Re: OS X IPC Design doc
To: chromium-dev@googlegroups.com

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 10:11 PM, Amanda Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Our informal requirement has been "create equivalent functionality to the
> Windows implementations."  One approach that we have not spent a lot of time
> on is looking at how the Windows implementation of some of these
> capabilities could be changed or stripped down to be more multi-platform
> friendly.  In some cases that might well be the best approach--do you have a
> feel for how hard it would be to stop using ShareToProcess, DuplicateHandle,
> etc. and make the code that's currently using it more portable?

After a rough survey, this actually doesn't seem too bad.  Here are the
places that currently use capabilities that would be difficult with an
anonymous pipe:

- visited link handling (ShareToProcess)
- statstable (already implemented but could be cleaned up, uses named shared
memory)
- Lots of stuff uses DuplicateHandle, but only a few places appear to rely
on duplicating a handle into another process (and it's pretty much a given
that the sandbox implementations will not be shared with Windows, and
possibly won't be shared with Linux (since Linux can't rely on the presence
of Mandatory Access Controls in all distros to control subprocess
capabilities).

I'd still like to do some real performance comparisons, but aside from
performance worries I'll back off a bit on my expectation that we'll need to
use Mach APIs for other critical capabilities until we get farther along.

--Amanda

--
--Amanda

"To see what is right and not to do it is cowardice." --Kung Fu Tse