On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 11:37 PM, Brett Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Native_theme is a little more tricky since there is some desire to
> eventually unify theme drawing with the rest of WebKit. If we did
> that, it would probably be undesirable from WebKit's perspective to
> have this file in our directory with our funny rules. We can choose to
> duplicate the code in this case (I think only a fraction of it is
> actually needed by the app layer, since it uses actual native controls
> for most thing), so this wouldn't be as bad as it may sound.

That seems reasonable; I agree with Ojan that theming web content and
theming the app UI should be completely separable (even if they end up
calling the same system libraries).

> There are other options:
> (1) Move the files in question to Skia.

This would be bad, presuming we want to unfork Skia at some point
(rather than maintaining our own snapshot).

> (2) Duplicate the files in both places.

I don't like this just on general principles :-).

> (3) Move the files to port but include headers in base/gfx that
> include those files, so chrome code doesn't have to directly include
> files from webkit, which looks a little odd.

This doesn't strike me as being as bad as a dependency in the other
direction, but I think it's better to completely separate the two even
if there's a bit of overlap.  Another alternative would be a
standalone "theme utils" library that both sets of code could use, but
it would raise the same question about where it should live.

--Amanda