On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Amanda Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> NativeImagePtr is a WebKit type, and is designed to be the platform's
> native representation.  We're all still fighting hidden assumptions
> about what PLATFORM(XXX) flags mean.  Skia and CG are graphics APIs,
> but webkit (and chromium currently) presume that they are 1:1 with
> platforms, which they aren't (so, as a result, NativeImagePtr gets
> typedefed to CGImageRef instead of SkBitmap* by an accident of #ifdef
> ordering).  In the short term, I have a patch in flight that should
> fix the NativeImagePtr compatibility, but fonts will no doubt present
> the same problem, and will be much harder to solve (a "no significant
> differences between platforms" approach will require a major overhaul
> on all 3 platforms (well, maybe not Linux, since they don't have much
> rendering code yet) to use something like Pango + FreeType + Cairo for
> rendering instead of GDI, CG, or Gtk).

No matter what we do each platform should have its own font and form
control rendering. I don't think unifying these has ever been on the
table. When I talk about unifying I mean the overall architecture.
Each platform will have some of its own code to render fonts and form
controls into the underlying buffer.

Brett