NativeImagePtr is a WebKit type, and is designed to be the platform's
native representation.  We're all still fighting hidden assumptions
about what PLATFORM(XXX) flags mean.  Skia and CG are graphics APIs,
but webkit (and chromium currently) presume that they are 1:1 with
platforms, which they aren't (so, as a result, NativeImagePtr gets
typedefed to CGImageRef instead of SkBitmap* by an accident of #ifdef
ordering).  In the short term, I have a patch in flight that should
fix the NativeImagePtr compatibility, but fonts will no doubt present
the same problem, and will be much harder to solve (a "no significant
differences between platforms" approach will require a major overhaul
on all 3 platforms (well, maybe not Linux, since they don't have much
rendering code yet) to use something like Pango + FreeType + Cairo for
rendering instead of GDI, CG, or Gtk).  There are good arguments on
each side of that, but if we're going to make that decision, we should
do so with all of the costs and benefits we know about laid out so
that we can make it rationally, rather than out of frustration that it
makes a particular patch more complex.  I started a design doc about
this at the end of last week, at your suggestion; I'll put up a draft
tonight or tomorrow that we can all use as a basis for that discussion
(and for talking with the webkit folks, once we're all on the same
page ourselves).

--Amanda

--
--Amanda

"Big Brother is hallucinating." --Elizabeth D. Zwicky