On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 1:19 PM, Amanda Walker <ama...@chromium.org> wrote:

> That's true.  In the example I gave (Mac driver loading), each module
> has a property list that lists its dependencies (and version
> requirements, etc.).  That's not quite as simple to do inside a single
> application, of course, but having code do the ordering still seems
> like a win to me.
>
> Consider startup as a sequence of, say:
>
> Initializer foo("foo");
> foo.DependsOn("bar");
> foo.DependsOn("zot");
>
> Initializer alice("alice");
> alice.DependsOn("bob");
> alice.DependsOn("eve");
> [...]
> Initializer::LaunchAll();
>
> (or, more generally, "Initializer:::Launch("chromium");" where
> "chromium" is a top level module, so that the general framework could
> be used for things besides app launch)

I have a hard time thinking about this with your abstract example. I
also have a hard time believing we have so many interdependencies that
it requires writing a makefile to start the program, and that such a
syntax is easier to read than just listing out in comments why things
are done in this order.

Brett