There is only one form of version control, which is the Subversion
repository.  For convenience, we provide a few alternatives to checking out
a source tree from subversion and building it:
tarballs: a "tarball" is a tar format archive of a complete source tree that
has been checked out from the subversion repository.  It reflects the state
of the source tree at a given point in time.

continuous: ever time anyone checks in a change, we have a continuous build
system that checks out the change and tries to build Chromium.  This system
uses a Python script called "buildbot", which knows how to build all of
Chromium's components, run their unit tests, build the application, run
automated tests on it, etc.  This allows developers to detect immediately if
a change causes either build problems or failed tests.  This overall
strategy is often called "continuous integration", and it's very helpful for
finding bugs early.

snapshot: a snapshot build is simply a copy of chromium that was
successfully built by the continuous build system (that is, each snapshot is
the most recent build that did not fail for some reason).

Google Chrome is a Google-branded variation on Chromium that Google has put
through quality assurance testing, provides auto-update services for, etc.
 Chromium is the name of the open source project that anyone can build or
use for their own purposes.  Or put a different way, Google Chrome is a copy
of Chromium that was built and tested by Google.

Does that help?

--Amanda