On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 03:09, Craig Schlenter<craig.schlen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've mentioned this to Joel off-list but in case anyone else is interested,
> I have code that runs background tabs at lower scheduling priorities
> on linux.

Thanks.  Are you able to post the newer version you mentioned?

> Tweaks to /etc/security/limits.conf are necessary to make it work though
> (to grant priority raising abilities).

If we're just tweaking the priority level between 0 and 20 a normal
user will have no worries.  It's only when we try to take it below 0
that more capabilities are needed.

$ renice +1 31404
31404: old priority 0, new priority 1

$ renice -1 31404
renice: 31404: setpriority: Permission denied

$ renice +3 31404
31404: old priority 1, new priority 3

$ renice +1 31404
31404: old priority 3, new priority 1

OTOH, renicing isn't really going to help my quest to end unnecessary
background work, it's just going to make sure the foreground gets more
CPU share.

Joel