On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 5:53 AM, Joel Stanley <j...@jms.id.au> wrote:

> So we do this for GIFs.  Can anyone tell me if background tabs
> re-paint themselves?  If not, I'll add it to the TODO.

IIRC renderers don't actually paint until the browser tells them to.
 Background renderers may set dirty regions so they know what they'll need
to repaint though.  (I could be wrong on all this, darin is the one who
knows best.)

I think I was overzealous saying that GIFs don't animate when in background
tabs.  They're designed not to, but the actual signal they use is (among
other things) ScrollView::isOffscreen(), which looks like it's pretty much a
NOP for our port.  So one thing you could try is seeing if you can implement
a Chromium version of platformIsOffscreen() and anything else that function
needs, and check whether that helps lower CPU (e.g. for animated images in
background tabs).

PK