On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 00:53, Dan Kegel<d...@kegel.com> wrote:
> It'd be nice if users didn't have to do that...
> does HTML 5 specify any kind of low power idle state for applications?
> Ideally when the screen blanks, we'd want all the apps to go
> into some kind of low power state, wouldn't we?

It would be great if Gmail (or similar) could ask Chrome if it's in
the background, and do less work until it comes back into focus.  Mmm
and use Android style tickles to wake up when new email arrives...

>> Perhaps we could run a powertop bot, that monitors an idle session
>> with a few tabs opened to catch any regressions with timers.
>
> I like that idea a lot.

Cool! I need inside help to make that happen, are you the person I can poke?

I've spent today looking into collecting powertop numbers.  The latest
version of gnome-power-manager has a powertop-like tab, and it's
scraping it's data from devicekit-power.  Karmic has both of these, I
thought Jaunty had devkit-power but looking again I might have been
mistaken.

So once we have a system that has devicekit-power, we can use a
tool[1] from the source tree to dump stats:

$ ./devkit-power -w
Total wakeups per minute: 462
Wakeup sources:
userspace:0 id:12, interrupts:216.0, cmdline:interrupt, details:i8042
userspace:0 id:4082, interrupts:91.0, cmdline:kernel-ipi,
details:Rescheduling interrupts
userspace:0 id:30, interrupts:64.5, cmdline:interrupt,
details:PCI-MSI-edge      iwlagn
userspace:0 id:28, interrupts:43.0, cmdline:interrupt,
details:PCI-MSI-edge      i915
userspace:0 id:14, interrupts:15.0, cmdline:interrupt, details:ata_piix
userspace:1 id:5971, interrupts:8.9,
cmdline:/home/shenki/chrome/chrome, details:hrtimer_start_range_ns
(hrtimer_wakeup)
userspace:1 id:29472, interrupts:8.5,
cmdline:/usr/lib/firefox-3.5/firefox-3.5,
details:hrtimer_start_range_ns (hrtimer_wakeup)

Next is collecting them in the same manner that other perf stats are
collected...

Joel

[1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/DeviceKit/DeviceKit-power/tree/tools