In the past, Hixie has been against the notion of installed applications.
Perhaps for web pages that is the proper approach, however I really like
(from a UI/usability/security) perspective the notion of "installing"
something as a mechanism for granting trust. We can argue about how good the
"installation mechanism / process" is, but I think it's the most
understandable thing we have, and certainly better than putting up a dialog
each time a site wants +5Mb. Likewise for things such as persistent workers
/ background pages that survive browser shutdown.
In other words, LGTM