On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 5:30 AM, Peter Kasting<pkast...@chromium.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 9:23 PM, Mike Beltzner <beltz...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>>
>> All we're doing at this point is preventing malicious applications from
>> eating up disk, really.
>
> Yep, I agree (although that may no longer be true in a few years as web apps
> grow in power and complexity).
>>
>> In the world of normal applications, you basically give them arbitrary
>> permission to use your disk, but the good ones write some requirements ahead
>> of time like "requires 200 MB free hard drive space" and warn you at install
>> if you're below that.  Can we make the UI more like that, where you make a
>> single trust decision up front?  Yes an app can lie, but normally-installed
>> apps can lie too.  Can we provide enough ranking and feedback somewhere to
>> make this decision easier on users?  For example, "57% of users chose to
>> install <foo.com>, and gave it an average rating of 2.3 stars."
>>
>> Oooh, web of trust. There are some flaws. :)
>> I do think the right answer here is to only get the user involved when the
>> case seems pathological. Most uses of localStorage will be for "better than
>> cookies," I suspect.
>
> One case I'm trying to prevent is getting separate requests, at different
> times, from the same app.  You get some up-front query about desktop
> shortcuts, and then a query five minutes later about using your camera, and
> then a year later about going over 5 MB of storage, and so on.  Sucky.
>  Really all I care about is an up-front "let this do whatever the heck it
> wants" versus "no thanks".

That seems overly simplistic to me - for example, just because I
sometimes want to let a chat app have access to my camera, doesn't
mean I want it always to have access. Given the number of users I've
seen fix this problem with duct tape, I think I can conclude that
users would use controls if they had controls they understood and
trusted.