On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 9:30 PM, Peter Kasting <pkast...@chromium.org>wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 9:23 PM, Mike Beltzner <beltz...@mozilla.com>wrote:
>
>> All we're doing at this point is preventing malicious applications from
>> eating up disk, really.
>>

> Yep, I agree (although that may no longer be true in a few years as web
> apps grow in power and complexity).
>
>> In the world of normal applications, you basically give them arbitrary
>> permission to use your disk, but the good ones write some requirements ahead
>> of time like "requires 200 MB free hard drive space" and warn you at install
>> if you're below that.  Can we make the UI more like that, where you make a
>> single trust decision up front?  Yes an app can lie, but normally-installed
>> apps can lie too.  Can we provide enough ranking and feedback somewhere to
>> make this decision easier on users?  For example, "57% of users chose to
>> install <foo.com>, and gave it an average rating of 2.3 stars."
>>

>> Oooh, web of trust. There are some flaws. :)
>>
>> I do think the right answer here is to only get the user involved when the
>> case seems pathological. Most uses of localStorage will be for "better than
>> cookies," I suspect.
>>

> One case I'm trying to prevent is getting separate requests, at different
> times, from the same app.  You get some up-front query about desktop
> shortcuts, and then a query five minutes later about using your camera, and
> then a year later about going over 5 MB of storage, and so on.  Sucky.
>  Really all I care about is an up-front "let this do whatever the heck it
> wants" versus "no thanks".

Another thing to consider is that, if our limits are per-origin (what
most implementations use IIRC), a malicious attacker could easily use lots
of host names (i.e. host1.bad-site.com through host10000000.bad-site.com) to
still fill things up.

I'm starting to wonder if some sort of web of trust or black list type
solution is the only way to avoid users getting DOSed.